RISE is a three years’ research project funded with 8 Mio Euro by the Horizon 2020 call “Towards operational forecasting of earthquakes and early warning capacity for more resilient societies” of the European Commission. The project will start in September 2019 and end in August 2022. RISE is coordinated by ETH Zurich (Coordinator Stefan Wiemer), bringing together 19 organisations from across Europe and 5 international partners.
The key objective of RISE is to advance real-time earthquake risk reduction capabilities for a resilient Europe. While appropriate and well-enforced building codes, as well as retrofitting, remain the backbone of earthquake risk reduction, advances in scientific understanding and emerging technologies offer enticing opportunities to improve the earthquake resilience of societies across Europe and reduce potential human/economic loss. RISE adopts an integrative, holistic view of risk reduction; a dynamic risk concept that uses all of the relevant information available to assess risk at different stages of the earthquake cycle, and an equally all-encompassing view on dissemination and communication of this information to everyone in society. By profiting from advances in scientific understanding and the dramatically changing technological capabilities, earthquake hazard and risk will be appreciated not as a constant in time, but as an evolving, integrated and dynamic risk (Figure 1).
Examples of the challenges RISE will address are:
- Advance real-time seismic risk reduction capacity of European societies by transitioning to a new concept of dynamic risk.
- Improve short-term forecasting and operational earthquake forecasting by developing and validating the next generation of forecasting models.
- Enhance the quality of earthquake prediction and earthquake forecasting by launching a European collaborative effort for validation and rigorous testing, as a strong partner in the international CSEP initiative (the Collaboratory for the Study of Earthquake Predictability, www.cseptesting.org).
- Contribute to the establishment of sound and rational risk reduction procedures
- Improve the preparedness of societies, emergency managers, long-term recovery managers.
Connection of RISE with ongoing European Projects
RISE builds on the strong legacy of past and ongoing European projects (including SAFER, REAKT, STREST, NERIES, SHARE, NERA, SERA, EPOS-IP, ARISTOTLE). RISE adopts a Europe-wide perspective and, in order to maximise synergies and impact, RISE activities leverage strongly on ongoing initiatives and projects across Europe and beyond. Most importantly, RISE relies on and greatly enriches EPOS, by tapping into existing integrated and thematic core services and building new ones.
RISE Latest News: RISE Kick-off meeting will take place in Zurich between 2-4 September 2019.